Register a significant relationship

What is a significant relationship

A significant relationship is a legally recognised relationship between two adults.

Your significant relationship does not have to be registered to be recognised, but you may find it useful to have a certificate to prove that your relationship exists in emergency situations or when dealing with government agencies.

You can register a significant relationship in Tasmania if you are a couple who:

  • both live in Tasmania
  • are not married or related by family

How to register a significant relationship

To register your relationship, both parties need to:

Step 1

Complete a registration form (one form per couple)

Step 2

Provide evidence of identity and evidence that you both live in Tasmania

Step 3

Pay the registration fee. This fee does not include a certificate.

It takes at least 28 days from the date we receive a complete and valid application to register the relationship.

Once registered, you can apply for a relationship certificate. You can also choose to order a decorative certificate.

Recognised relationships

You do not need to register a relationship in Tasmania if you have already formalised a relationship in another Australian state or territory or overseas.


You can have a ceremony to formally recognise and celebrate your relationship.

You can let Births, Deaths, Marriages know the date of your ceremony, and we will register your relationship on that date. The date chosen must be at least 28 days after you have lodged your application to register a relationship.

You can apply for a special certificate to use at your ceremony. The following information is completed on the day of the ceremony:

  • Celebrant’s name
  • Place of ceremony
  • Signature of celebrant
  • Signature of parties
  • Signature of witnesses

View sample decorative certificates

If you need more details, contact Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Withdraw application to register or revoke a relationship

Use the Withdrawal of application to register or revoke a relationship if you need to withdraw an application you have already lodged. There is no fee for this application, but you will not be refunded the original revocation fee.

Certificate of Legal Advice - (Section 62 certificate)

Use this form if you need to prove that a party to a relationship has received legal advice about the advantages and disadvantages of entering into a personal relationship or separating. It is required under Section 62 of the Relationships Act.

Updated: 16th October 2018