How to apply for a birth certificate
Applying at Service Tasmania
When applying at Service Tasmania, you will need to:
Check if you are eligible to apply
Fill out a certificate application form
Pay the fee with credit card or cash
Applying by post
You will need to:
Fill out a certificate application form
Get your identity documents certified (confirmed) as true copies of the original documents by one of the following:
Barrister or Solicitor
Pay the fee by completing credit card details on the application form or include a cheque or money order with your application
Send your application to:
Births, Deaths and Marriages Tasmania
30 Gordons Hill Road
Rosny Park Tas 7018
Who can apply for a birth certificate
You can apply for your own birth certificate. Other people who can apply are:
- a child’s parent
- a person’s child
- a child’s legal guardian – non-parent guardians must provide evidence
- the person’s current partner – evidence of the relationship must be provided
- an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee – evidence of authority must be provided
- someone with written authority or power of attorney – evidence of authority must be provided
Please note, only the registered person or the parents of the registered person (if they are under 16 years) can apply for a certificate showing gender and change of name details, unless the registered person is dead or incapacitated.
Pre-adoption birth records are open to the child with authorisation under Section 80 of the Adoption Act 1988 (form 17)
Anyone can access a birth record more than 100 years old.
Types of birth certificates
- A birth certificate is an official, certified copy of the birth registration details held by Births, Deaths and Marriages.
- There are options to apply for a certificate with or without gender and change of name details. Please note, a certificate with gender and change of name details are required for most evidence of identity purposes, such as passport applications.
Certificates with gender
- Birth certificate displaying all registered gender and name change details.
- Birth certificate displaying current gender only (no previous gender or details of registered name changes).
- Birth certificate displaying current gender and details of registered name changes (no gender history).
- Birth certificate displaying all registered gender details but no details of registered name changes.
Certificates without gender
- Birth certificate without gender and no details of registered name changes.
- Birth certificate without gender, with details of registered name changes.
Decorative Birth Certificate
- Designed for display purposes (A3 size). They do not show the registration number and are not suitable for evidence of identity purposes. You can choose whether you would like gender included on the certificate.
- There are 3 designs:
- Tasmanian native floras in shades of green, gold and brown
- Perfect for hanging in the nursery.
- A classic design that captures the bond between parent and child.
The certificates are packaged in a protective cylinder.
Extract of Birth
- Only shows name, date and place of birth. It does not contain information about parents and is not suitable for most evidence of identity purposes.
How long will it take to get my certificate
Standard service – approximately 2 weeks. It can take longer during peak periods.
Priority service (additional fees apply) – If your application has been approved you can obtain a certificate on the same day from the following Service Tasmania shops:
Hobart, Launceston, Burnie, Devonport, Huonville, Scottsdale and Sorell. Service Tasmania shop locations (external link).
When you apply at other Service Tasmania shops, online or by post the certificate will be sent by registered and/or express post.
If your priority application is received after 4.30pm (AEST) it will be processed the following business day and the certificate sent by mail.
Born interstate or overseas
If you need more details, contact us.