Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for a certificate over the phone?

No, applications are only accepted in person at Service Tasmania, by mail or by fax. Refer to how to apply for a certificate.

Back to top

Can I apply for an issue search (to identify any child/ren born to an individual)?

Given name, surname and a defined search period must be specified prior to any search being undertaken.  Issue searches (where an applicant is trying to identify any child/ren born to an individual) cannot be conducted by Registry staff, as only a limited number of records have been computerised.

Back to top

I haven't received the certificate I ordered - what should I do?

If you have been waiting longer than 10 working days for the certificate you ordered, you will need to check with your local Post Office to investigate whether there has been a problem with delivery.

If they have no relevant information, please contact the Registry to confirm the date the certificate was sent and the mailing address.

Back to top

What documents do I need to apply for a passport?

An application for an Australian passport must be made through the Passports Office or via any official Post Office.
www.dfat.gov.au (travel)

Back to top

What documents do I need to when applying for a driver's licence?

Contact Service Tasmania or Transport, Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources.

Back to top

We want to get married in Tasmania - what do we need to know?

You will need to select either a religious or civil celebrant to conduct the ceremony.  You will find a list of Authorised Celebrants on the Attorney General's website at www.ag.gov.au/celebrants

You will need to lodge a "Notice of Intended Marriage" form with the proposed celebrant at least one calendar month before the date of the ceremony.

Evidence of date and place of birth and proof of identity. Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages in the form of a decree absolute, if divorced, or a full death certificate if widowed.

Back to top

We want to get married overseas - what do we need to do?

Contact the consul or embassy of the country in which you want to get married and ask their advice, as the requirements differ.  Ensure that you retain documentary evidence of the marriage.

Back to top

If we get married overseas will it be recognised here?

In most cases, overseas marriages will be recognised, but there are exceptions. Please contact the Attorney General's Department, Canberra for advice.

Back to top

What is an Apostille stamp and where can I get one?

Contact Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Back to top

Where can I get a copy of my divorce certificate (decree absolute)?

Contact the Court Registry where you received your divorce.

Back to top

What can I do if only one parent will consent to a change of name?

You must obtain a Court Order from the Magistrates Court.

You must then apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages to register the change of name.

Back to top

Can I revert to the use of my maiden name?

Yes, a married woman is entitled to revert to her maiden name at any time.  If seeking official recognition it may be necessary to register a change of name.

Back to top

Where can I get a copy of a Will?

Contact the Supreme Court or contact the Archives Office to access their Index of Wills.

Back to top

When can I expect the certificate I ordered to be delivered?

A certificate will be posted within 10 working days of the application being received.  Please allow a further 2-6 business days postage time via Australia Post.  Delays may occur due to incomplete applications and peak period times.

Back to top

What documents will Centrelink accept?

Please contact Centrelink

Back to top