Ending your registered relationship

When should you revoke a relationship

If you registered your caring or significant relationship in Tasmania and it has broken down, you can formally cancel the registration with Births, Deaths and Marriages.

You do not need to formally cancel your relationship if your partner gets married or dies.

Apply to revoke a relationship

If you want to apply to revoke a relationship, you will need to lodge an application with Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Both parties need to sign the form to revoke a relationship. If you are unable to get the other party to sign, you must provide evidence that you have tried to obtain their signature. This may be a registered delivery receipt, proving that you have sent them a copy of the revocation form.

You will need to wait 90 days after you lodge the application before the relationship is revoked.

Will I get a certificate after relationship is revoked

You don’t automatically get a certificate when the cancellation is finalised, but you can order one at any time.

Apply to withdraw your application

If you need to withdraw an application you have already lodged, Use the Withdrawal of application to register or revoke a relationship. There is no fee for this application, but you will not be refunded the original revocation fee.

If you need more details, contact Births, Deaths and Marriages.

PDFs require a PDF reader to be viewed. Follow this link to download a PDF reader or contact us if you would like to request the publication in an alternative format.

Updated: 13th September 2021