Applying online for a certificate – your checklist
Please note: when you begin this online application, you will be unable to save the application and return to it later.
Your application will expire after 30 minutes of inactivity and you will need to start again, so BEFORE you start, have the following information ready to upload and submit.
- The type of certificate/s you need. For example birth, death, marriage, change of name or relationship.
- Applying on someone else’s behalf? You will need to provide evidence that you are authorised to do this. Have a scanned copy of this evidence ready to upload. Check who can apply for a certificate.
- Evidence confirming who you are. Check the identification documents you will need. Copies of your identity documents must be certified as true copies by a Justice of the Peace (external link) or Commissioner for Declarations (external link) and be ready to upload.
- If you have changed your name, you will need to provide evidence, to help us confirm that you are eligible to apply. Copies of your change of name documents must be certified as true copies by a Justice of the Peace (external link) or Commissioner for Declarations (external link) and be ready to upload.
- Your credit card information including cardholder name, number on card, expiry date and CVV number – check the fee.
- Your contact details (e-mail and phone number).
- Reason for your application. For example passport, ID, marriage, estate purposes.
- Mailing address.
When will I receive my certificate
- We process standard applications in 3-5 days and send the certificate by registered post to the address you provide. Check Australia post website for fees and delivery times.
- If required, we offer a same day processing service for an extra fee, including express post.
If you need help using the online application please contact us.