Applying online for a certificate – your checklist
Please note: when you begin this online application, you will be unable to save the application and return to it later. You should avoid browsing to other websites until you have finished the application process.
Your application will expire after 30 minutes of inactivity and you will need to start again, so BEFORE you start, have the following information ready to upload and submit.
- The type of certificate/s you need. For example birth, death, marriage, change of name or relationship.
- Evidence you are allowed to apply. Check who can apply for a certificate.
- Scanned or digital photos of identification confirming who you are ready to be verified by the Document Verification Service or upload. Check the identification documents you will need.
- If you have changed your name, you will need to upload evidence of each name change. This is so we can link your current name to the name on the record.
- Your credit card information including cardholder name, number on card, expiry date and CVV number – check the fee.
- Your contact details (e-mail and phone number).
- Reason for your application. For example passport, ID, marriage, estate purposes.
- Mailing address.
When will I receive my certificate
- We usually process applications in 3-5 working days, but sometimes we may need a little extra time. We send certificates by registered post to the address you provide. Check Australia post website (external link) for fees and delivery times
- If your request is urgent you can pay an extra fee to have it processed on the day we receive it. You can also request the certificate is sent express post to reduce delivery delays.
If you need help using the online application please contact us.