Apply for a marriage certificate

How to apply for a marriage certificate

You can also apply for a marriage certificate by:

Who can apply for a marriage certificate

You can apply for your own marriage certificate. Other people who can apply are:

  • a child of the couple
  • an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee – evidence of authority must be provided
  • someone with written authority or power of attorney – evidence of authority must be provided

Anyone can access a marriage record more than 75 years old.

Types of marriage certificates

Standard Marriage Certificate

An official, certified copy of the marriage registration details held by Births, Deaths and Marriages.  You can use it as evidence of change of surname with organisations such as the Passport Office.

Extract of Marriage

Contains names, date and place of marriage only.  It is not suitable for most evidence of identity purposes.

Certificate of no record

Confirms that the applicant has not been married in Tasmania during a specified period.

You may need a certificate of no record of marriage if you intend to be married overseas. It is sometimes called a single status certificate.

Before you apply, check with the Consulate, Embassy or local representative of the country where you wish to marry to check their legal requirements. You may need to take your certificate of no record of marriage to the Department of Foreign Affairs (external link) for an Apostille stamp.

Applications must be lodged by the person to be named on the certificate.

How long will it take to get my certificate

Standard service – approximately 2 weeks. It can take longer during peak periods.

Priority service (additional fees apply) – If your application has been approved your certificate can be issued on the same day.

Your certificate will be sent by registered and/or express post.

If you lodge a priority application at one of the following Service Tasmania centres, it can be printed onsite, ready for you to collect.

Hobart, Launceston, Burnie, Devonport, Huonville, Scottsdale and Sorell.  Service Tasmania shop locations (external link).

When you apply at other Service Tasmania shops, online or by post the certificate will be sent by registered and/or express post.

If your priority application is received after 4.30pm (AEST) it will be processed the following business day and the certificate sent by mail.

Marriage registered interstate or overseas

See other Australian and overseas registries for what you need to do

If you need more details, contact us.

New certificate paper

From 2 August 2021, certificates in Australia will be printed on new security paper.
If you have an official certificate printed on older security paper, you don’t need to purchase a new certificate unless details on it have changed.

Updated: 2nd August 2021