You will need to submit three, current evidence of identity documents when applying for a certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages.
If you are applying by post you will need to get your identity documents certified (confirmed) as true copies of the original documents by one of the following:
Barrister or Solicitor
If you are applying for a certificate at a Service Tasmania shop (external link) you will need to take your original identification documents with you.
- one document from each list (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- two documents from list 2 and one from list 3 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- two documents from list 2 and one from list 1 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
You can download a word document version of the Birth Deaths and Marriages Tasmania Evidence of Identity (DOC, 3.8 MB)
Identification List 1
- Australian driver licence
- Australian passport
- Overseas passport
- Australian firearms licence
- Australian Government issued immiCard
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Tasmanian Government personal information card
- Department of immigration & border protection certificate or evidence of resident status
Identification List 2
- Medicare card
- Credit card or Bank card with signature
- Australian security guard or crowd controller licence
- Department of Veteran Affairs or centrelink pensioner concession card or other entitlement card issued by Australian Government
- Government issued working with vulnerable people card
- Birth certificate issued in Australia
- Student identity card with photo issued by educational institution
Identification List 3
- Utility account (electricity, water, telephone, gas)
- Lease or rent agreement
- Council rates notice
- Australian taxation office assessment
- Current school report card or exam certificate
- Financial institution statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
Evidence of change of name
If you have changed your name please provide one document from below as evidence.
- Adoption paper issued by Court
- Divorce paper issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Change of name registration from Australia or overseas issuing authority
- Guardianship order
- Relationship certificate
- Marriage certificate from Australia or overseas issuing authority
Online utility accounts/statements
- If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
- Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months.
Overseas identification documents
- If you live overseas you can provide overseas equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign drivers licence. Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.