You must supply at least 3 forms of currenty identity. At least one document must contain your current address.
Please select documents from the categories below:
- One document from category 1, 2 and 3
- Two documents from category 2 and one from category 1 or 3
- Two documents from category 3 and one from category 1 or 2.
Documents marked with an asterisk (*) means they can be verified by the online Document Verification Service (DVS). If the details are verified you will not need to provide a scanned copy of the document.
*An Australian birth certificate
New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
New Zealand birth certificate
*Australian driver's licence
Proof of age card
*Australian marriage certificate (issued from BDM office)
Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs card
Security/Crowd control licence
Tertiary education institution ID card
Credit Card/bank statement
Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
Lease or rent agreement with current address
Australian Taxation Office assessment with current address
If you are unable to meet these requirements, please contact BDM for further advice.
If you are applying by post you will need to get your identity documents certified (confirmed) as true copies of the original documents by one of the following:
Barrister or Solicitor
If you are applying for a certificate at a Service Tasmania shop (external link) you will need to take your original identification documents with you.
Evidence of change of name
If you have changed your name please provide one document from below as evidence.
- Adoption paper issued by Court
- Divorce paper issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Change of name registration from Australia or overseas issuing authority
- Guardianship order
- Relationship certificate
- Marriage certificate from Australia or overseas issuing authority
Online utility accounts/statements
- If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
- Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months.
Overseas identification documents
- If you live overseas you can provide overseas equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign drivers licence. Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.