You will need to submit three, current evidence of identity documents when applying for a certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Barrister or Solicitor
If you are applying for a certificate at a Service Tasmania shop (external link) you will need to take your original identification documents with you.
- one document from each list (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- two documents from list 2 and one from list 3 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- two documents from list 2 and one from list 1 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
You can download a word document version of the Birth Deaths and Marriages Tasmania Evidence of Identity (DOC, 3.8 MB)
Identification List 1
- Australian Driver Licence
- Australian Passport
- Overseas Passport
- Australian Firearms Licence
- Australian Government issued ImmiCard
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card
- Department of Immigration & Border Protection Certificate or Evidence of Resident Status
Identification List 2
- Medicare Card
- Credit Card or Bank Card with signature
- Australian Security Guard or Crowd Controller Licence
- Department of Veteran Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or other entitlement card issued by Australian Government
- Government Issued Working with Vulnerable People Card
- Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
- Student Identity Card with photo issued by educational institution
Identification List 3
- Utility Account (electricity, water, telephone, gas)
- Lease or Rent Agreement
- Council Rates Notice
- Australian Taxation Office Assessment
- Current school report card or exam certificate
- Financial Institution Statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
Evidence of change of name
If you have changed your name please provide one document from below as evidence.
- Adoption Paper issued by Court
- Divorce Paper issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Change of Name registration from Australia or Overseas issuing Authority
- Guardianship Order
- Relationship Certificate
- Marriage Certificate from Australia or Overseas Issuing Authority
Online utility accounts/statements
- If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
- Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months.
Overseas identification documents
- If you live overseas you can provide overseas equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign drivers licence. Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.