Change of name certificates/deed polls (before the year 2000)

Change of name certificates

If you are changing your name after getting married in Tasmania you will need to apply for an official marriage certificate.

If you have married elsewhere in Australia you will need to apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory in which your marriage occurred for an official marriage certificate as evidence of a name change.

If you’ve registered a change of name and need a replacement certificate, you can:

You can also apply for a change of name certificate by:

Deed poll certificates (before the year 2000)

Deed polls are no longer registered by Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM).

Deed poll was used in Tasmania until November 2000 to change a person’s name.

If you changed your name by deed poll, you can get a copy of your deed poll certificate on BDM certificate paper (suitable for legal purposes).

To apply for a deed poll certificate, apply online or use the Change of Name Certificate Application Form.

To register a new change of name, see Register a Change Name.

Updated: 14th August 2020