Tasmanian Government Logo

Justice of the Peace (JP)

What is the difference between a JP and a Commissioner for Declarations?

Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations can sign documents that need an authorised witness.

Generally, a Commissioner for Declarations can sign most documents.

A Commissioner for Declarations can

A JP can witness

  • affidavits
  • warrants
  • oaths
  • summons, and
  • where it has been explicitly requested, documents can be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Where can I find a Commissioner for Declarations?

If you need to find a Commissioner for Declaration or would like further information, visit the Commissioner for Declarations page or contact JP@justice.tas.gov.au.

Where can I find a JP?

A Justice of the Peace can be located at designated signing clinics. Please refer to the following schedule for more information or click the button below to search for a JP in your area.

GlenorchyCouncil OfficesMonday10am - 2pm
RosnyService Tasmania, Bligh StreetTuesday9:30am - 4pm
KingstonKingborough Council OfficesWednesday10am - 2pm
HobartService Tasmania, Macquarie StreetThursday and Friday10am - 2pm
LauncestonCH Smith Building, 23 Charles StreetMonday - Friday10am - 3pm

For further information contact JP@justice.tas.gov.au

Information for Justices of the Peace