Court Support & Liaison Service
A free service for adult and child victims of family violence is available through the Safe at Home program.
Court Support Officers are available in Hobart, Launceston, Burnie, and other regional areas (on request) to provide support to adult and child victims of family violence (including referral to appropriate counselling and other services) and guide them through the justice system during and after court appearances. Support is available for male and female victims regardless of age or cultural background.
The Court Support Officer can provide the following assistance:
- how to take out a Family Violence Order
- how to vary or extend an existing order
- provide ongoing updates on progress of a matter in court
Further assistance can be provided by the Court Support Officers as matters proceed through the court process:
- court tour to explain the court layout and facilities
- liaise with Police and Prosecutors on behalf of the victim
- explain the roles of people in the Court (e.g. Judge, Magistrate, Jury, Prosecutor, Defence Lawyer, Court Support)
- explain words and language that may be used in Court
- assist victims to understand their role as a witness
- assist witnesses to feel as comfortable as possible within the Court environment and to address their fears and concerns
- accompany the adult or child victim to Court
- stay with witnesses while they are waiting to give evidence and when giving their evidence
- provide support to victims throughout the Court process
- talk about what happened at Court and the impact of the Magistrate's / Judge's decision
- follow up through referral to other support services
A dedicated Aboriginal Court Support Officer is available to provide support to Aboriginal adult and child victims of family violence (including referral to appropriate counselling and other services) and guide them through the justice system during and after Court appearances.
As a member of the Aboriginal community the Aboriginal Court Support and Liaison Officer understands the unique needs of the community and also acknowledges your right to privacy within the community.
Our services are free and confidential. Your rights as an individual are respected. Please call us if we can be of assistance.
Court Support and Liaison Services
Victims Support Services
Department of Justice
Phone: 1300 663 773 (toll free) or
Hobart: (03) 6165 7524
Launceston: (03) 6777 2939
Burnie: (03) 6477 7133
Aboriginal Court Support Officer:
Phone:1300 663 773 (toll free) or (03) 6165 7530