Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Who can apply for financial assistance

Anyone who has suffered an injury (physical or psychological) as a result of a violent crime may be able to apply for Victims of Crime Assistance. 

This may include:

  • the victim of a violent crime (known as the primary victim),
  • a secondary victim such as somebody who has witnessed a violent crime, or a parent of a child victim, or
  • a related victim, such as a spouse, partner or an immediate family member

Children under the age of 18 can also apply for Victims of Crime Assistance, but their application must be lodged by an adult such as a parent or guardian.

If an award is made to an applicant under 18 the funds may be paid to a Trustee to administer the money on behalf of the applicant.

Any offence should be reported to the police.

Victims of Crime Assistance does not cover loss of or damage to property.