COVID-19 information

Tasmanian Government Logo

Find a Justice of the Peace

Justice of the Peace Search

Before searching for a Justice of the Peace (JP), please review the following information.

JPs and Commissioners for Declarations (CDs) can sign documents that need an authorised witness.

Generally, a CD can sign most documents, including:

  • witness signatures to documents
  • certify a true copy of an original document (subject to any specific instructions)
  • witness a statutory declaration

A JP can:

  • witness signatures to document
  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • certify a person's identity
  • witness an affidavit for use in court

Review the signing page of your document to determine what service you need. For example, if your document requires you to ‘declare’, a CD can sign your document unless there are instructions requiring a JP.

CDs are often more convenient to find. Find a list of professions and appointment holders who are Commissioners for Declarations.

A number of regions also offer JPs signing clinics.

To search for a JP in your location

Once selected, JPs in or near your area will be listed from closest to furthest away