COVID-19 Information

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Tasmanian Government Logo

Justice of the Peace (JP)

The Tasmanian Government has produced a facts sheet relating to services provided by Justices of the Peace during the coronavirus pandemic.

What is the difference between a JP and a Commissioner for Declarations?

Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations can sign documents that need an authorised witness.

Generally, a Commissioner for Declarations can sign most documents.

A Commissioner for Declarations can

A JP can witness

  • affidavits
  • warrants
  • oaths
  • summons, and
  • where it has been explicitly requested, documents can be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Where can I find a Commissioner for Declarations?

If you need to find a Commissioner for Declaration or would like further information, visit the Commissioner for Declarations page or contact

Where can I find a Justice of the Peace?

You can search for a JP in your area by searching the JP database -

For further information contact

Information for Justices of the Peace