Justice of the Peace
A Justice of the Peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes.
When contacting a JP, please note JPs are volunteers who provide their services to the community free of charge. While JPs make themselves available as much as possible, it should be remembered that they have the same type of work and personal commitments as any other person. As such, you will need to discuss a mutually acceptable time and place for an appointment.
What a JP can witness
A JP can:
- certify a true copy of an original document
- certify a person's identity
- witness an affidavit for use in court
- witness a statutory declaration
- witness the signing of a document
Where to find a JP
You can find a JP at
- a document witnessing centre below
- or you can search using our Find a JP function
If you are contacting a JP
- Contact the JP at a reasonable time.
- If possible, contact a JP who is close to where you would like to meet.
- If possible, provide a reasonable time to enable the JP to provide the service.
- Ask the JP where and when they are available to provide the service. Don’t assume the JP will come to your location.
- Tell the JP what the service(s) is that you require. Ensure the JP knows the amount and complexity of the service.
- Have all the documents ready for the JP, but do not sign them before meeting the JP.
- If you need copies of original documents signed, ensure you take the relevant and required number of copies of the originals with you when you see the JP. If the document is on a portable device like a laptop or mobile phone, make sure you have hardcopies of the document. It is not the JP’s responsibility to arrange copies for you.
- Ensure you have personal identification documents with you.
- A JP may not agree to provide the service. Other JPs are available on the Find a JP web page.
- Be mindful that JPs do not provide legal advice.
- A JP cannot accept any payment or other benefit from providing the service.
Document witnessing centres
Service Tasmania, 134 Macquarie Street
Thursday and Friday
10am - 2pm
Council Offices, 374 Main Road
10am - 2pm
Service Tasmania, Bligh Street
9.30am - 4pm
Civic Centre, 15 Channel Highway
10am - 2pm
|Launceston||CH Smith Building, 23 Charles Street||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday||10am - 3pm|