Review of Asbestos Compensation Act: open for public comment
Comments close: 14 October 2016
An independent review is being conducted of the Asbestos-Related Diseases (Occupational Exposure) Compensation Act 2011.
Section 187 of the Act requires that an independent review be undertaken every 5 years. This is the first review.
The review is being conducted by Michael Stevens and overseen by the WorkCover Tasmania Board, on behalf of the Tasmanian Government.
Amongst other things, this review will assess the extent the Act provides for:
- fair and appropriate compensation, and the payment of certain expenses, for people who have contracted asbestos-related diseases in the course of their employment as workers in Tasmania
- the prompt and effective resolution of applications and payment of expenses
- certain judgements and agreements about someone contracting asbestos-related diseases in the course of their employment.
It will also examine the asbestos compensation scheme’s:
- ongoing viability and sustainability
- performance in terms of entitlements, premiums and coverage.
Mr Stevens will meet with:
- major stakeholders involved with the asbestos compensation laws
- a sample of successful and unsuccessful complainants
- NGOs such as Asbestos Free Tasmania.
His report from the review will be tabled by the Government before both Houses of Parliament by October 2017.
To make your submission
Written submissions must be lodged by 14 October 2016:
- email to email@example.com
- post to Michael Stevens, Reviewer – Asbestos Compensation, PO Box 56 Rosny Park TAS 7018
If you have any queries about the Review, please call Brad Parker on 6166 4747 who will arrange for one of the review team to contact you.