Tasmanian Government Logo

Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations

Justice of the Peace

A Justice of the Peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes.

When contacting a JP, please note JPs are volunteers who provide their services to the community free of charge. While JPs make themselves available as much as possible, it should be remembered that they have the same type of work and personal commitments as any other person. As such, you will need to discuss a mutually acceptable time and place for an appointment.

Commissioners for Declarations

Commissioners serve the public by signing documents that need a qualified witness. Although the role of a CD is purely administrative, Commissioners are empowered to exercise some of the ministerial functions of justices.

Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations are volunteers who assist the public with administrative legal matters.

Difference between a Justice of the Peace and a Commissioner for Declarations

JPs and CDs can sign documents that need an authorised witness.

Generally, a CD can sign most documents, including:

  • witness signatures to documents
  • certify a true copy of an original document (subject to any specific instructions)
  • witness a statutory declaration

A JP can

  • witness signatures to document
  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • certify a person's identity
  • witness an affidavit for use in court

Before searching for a JP, review the signing page of your document to determine what service you need. For example, if your document requires you to ‘declare’, a CD can sign your document unless there are instructions requiring a JP.

CDs are often more convenient to find. Find a list of professions and appointment holders who are Commissioners for Declarations .

A number of regions also offer JPs signing clinics .

To search for a JP in your location