Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Significant Relationships

You can register a significant relationship if:

  • the relationship is between two adults who have a relationship as a couple
  • you are not married
  • you are not related by family
  • both parties live in Tasmania.

How do I prove that I am in a significant relationship?

  • A certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is proof of the significant relationship.
  • If the relationship is not registered the following factors can be used to prove the existence of a significant relationship:
(a)the duration of a relationship;
(b)the nature and extent of common residence;
(c)whether or not a sexual relationship exists;
(d)the degree of financial dependence or interdependence, and any arrangements for financial support, between the parties;
(e)the joint ownership, use and acquisition of property;
(f)the degree of mutual commitment to a shared life;
(g)the care and support of children;
(h)the performance of household duties; and
(i)the reputation and public aspects of the relationship.

Not all of the above criteria are needed to establish that a significant relationship exists.

The court and other bodies who may need to be satisfied that a significant relationship exists between the parties will apply the relevant criteria on a case by case basis.

The courts (and other bodies) are not restricted to these factors in determining the existence of a relationship for the purposes of the Relationships Act.

The Relationships Act provides the Supreme Court with the power to conclusively determine whether or not a significant relationship exists or existed, regardless of whether either or both of the partners are deceased.