Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Marriage Equality

From 9 December 2017, sex or gender no longer affects the right to marry under Australian law and same-sex marriage will be legal in Australia.

You can find the latest information about marriage equality and the new marriage forms on the Commonwealth Attorney-General's website (www.ag.gov.au/marriageequality).


Will our overseas same sex marriage be recognised in Australia?

If you are already legally married in another country, your same sex marriage will be recognised in Australia.  You do not need to register the marriage in Australia.

How to find a marriage celebrant

Births, Deaths and Marriages does not conduct Registry Office marriage ceremonies.  You can find contact details for marriage celebrants on the Commonwealth Attorney-General's website.

What will appear on the marriage certificate?

You have the option to choose the description of each party to the marriage when you complete the marriage paperwork.  You can choose 'groom', 'bride' or 'partner'.  The latest marriage forms are available on the Commonwealth Attorney-General's website.

How do I change my name after marriage?

If you are legally married in Australia you do not need to register a change of name if you wish to take on your spouse's name.  A marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages is usually sufficient evidence to update your personal documentation.

How to apply for a marriage certificate

Can a registered relationship be converted to a marriage?

A registered relationship cannot be converted to a marriage.  If you are in a registered relationship you now have the option to marry your partner in Australia, if you wish.