Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Getting married

Choosing a marriage celebrant

An authorised minister of religion or a civil marriage celebrant can perform your marriage ceremony.  Contact details are listed on the Commonwealth Attorney General's website.

Notice of intended marriage

To be married in Tasmania, or any other Australian State or Territory, you need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form. This is available from the marriage celebrant who you choose to perform your marriage ceremony. You can also download the form from the Commonwealth Attorney General's website.

You must lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage form with the proposed celebrant at least one calender month before the date you are planning to marry. Both parties also need to provide the marriage celebrant with:

  • Evidence of date and place of birth and proof of identity.
  • Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages in the form of a decree absolute, if divorced, or a full death certificate if widowed.
  • Any other information the celebrant may require, Your celebrant may also ask you to complete a statutory declaration to support your evidence.

Once the ceremony has taken place and your celebrant has lodged the documents required to register the marriage you can apply to the Registry for a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Marriage overseas

If you are planning to marry overseas we advise you contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.