Identification Requirements for Tasmanian Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates
You must submit three, current evidence of identity documents when applying for a certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages.
- one document from each list (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- two documents from list 2 and one from list 3 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
- one document from list 1 and two from list 2 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).
If you are applying for a certificate at Service Tasmania you will need to present your original identification documents.
If you are posting your application please enclose certified copies of identification.
You can download a word document version of the Birth Deaths and Marriages Tasmania Evidence of Identity (DOC, 3.8 MB)
- Australian Drivers Licence
- Utility Account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
- Australian/Overseas Passport
- Credit Card or Bank Card with signature
- Australian Firearms Licence
- Australian Security Guard or Crowd Controller Licence
- Australian Government issued ImmiCard
- Department of Veteran Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or other entitlement card issued by Australian Government
- Australian Taxation Office Assessment
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Government Issued Working with Vulnerable People Card
- Current school report card or exam certificate
- Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card
- Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
- Financial Institution Statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
- Department of Immigration & Border Protection Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status
- Student Identity Card with photo issued by educational institution
If you have changed your name please provide one document from below as evidence.
Evidence of Change of Name
- Adoption Paper issued by Court
- Divorce Paper issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Change of Name registration from Australia or Overseas Issuing Authority
- Statutory Declaration if Name by Repute or Common Usage
- Marriage Certificate from Australia or Overseas Issuing Authority
- If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
- Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months.
- If you live overseas you can provide overseas equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign drivers licence. Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.
- If you submit your application by post please have your identity documents certified by one of the following:
- Justice of the Peace
- Commissioner for declarations
- Barrister or Solicitor
- Notary Public
- Australian Embassy Officer
- Australian Consulate Officer