Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Identification Requirements for Tasmanian Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates

You must submit three, current evidence of identity documents when applying for a certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Please provide:

  • one document from each list (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).


  • two documents from list 2 and one from list 3 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).


  • one document from list 1 and two from list 2 (at least one containing a signature and one showing your current residential address).

If you are applying for a certificate at Service Tasmania you will need to present your original identification documents.

If you are posting your application please enclose certified copies of identification.

You can download a word document version of the Birth Deaths and Marriages Tasmania  Evidence of Identity (DOC, 3.8 MB)

List 1

List 2

List 3

  • Australian Drivers Licence
  • Medicare Card
  • Utility Account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • Australian/Overseas Passport
  • Credit Card or Bank Card with signature
  • Lease or Rent Agreement
  • Australian Firearms Licence
  • Australian Security Guard or Crowd Controller Licence
  • Council Rates Notice
  • Australian Government issued ImmiCard
  • Department of Veteran Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or other entitlement card issued by Australian Government
  • Australian Taxation Office Assessment
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Government Issued Working with Vulnerable People Card
  • Current school report card or exam certificate
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card
  • Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
  • Financial Institution Statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
  • Department of Immigration & Border Protection Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status
  • Student Identity Card with photo issued by educational institution

If you have changed your name please provide one document from below as evidence.

Evidence of Change of Name

  • Adoption Paper issued by Court
  • Divorce Paper issued by Court, indicating the name being reverted to
  • Change of Name registration from Australia or Overseas Issuing Authority
  • Guardianship Order
  • Statutory Declaration if Name by Repute or Common Usage
  • Relationship Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate from Australia or Overseas Issuing Authority

Additional Notes:

  • If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
  • Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months.
  • If you live overseas you can provide overseas equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign drivers licence.  Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.
  • If you submit your application by post please have your identity documents certified by one of the following:
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Commissioner for declarations
    • Barrister or Solicitor
    • Notary Public
    • Australian Embassy Officer
    • Australian Consulate Officer