Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Change of Name

Who can register a change of name?

An adult can register a change of their name if:

  • they are a resident of Tasmania (evidence of at least 12 months residence must be provided to establish this); or
  • their birth is registered in Tasmania.

Parents can register a change of name for their child if:

  • the child is a resident of Tasmania (evidence of at least 12 months residence must be provided to establish this, unless the Registrar approves an exception); or
  • the child's birth is registered in Tasmania
    Note: Children between the age of 12 and 18 must also complete a consent form.

Any person born outside Tasmania must supply a birth certificate.  If born overseas you will also need to provide evidence of citizenship or permanent residency in Australia.

Can one parent apply to change a child's name?

Both parents need to apply to change their child's name.

One parent can apply if:

  • he/she is the only parent on the birth record;
  • the other parent is deceased; or
  • he/she obtains a court order approving the child's change of name.

Do I need to register a change of name when I marry?

Change of name after marriage is done as a matter of custom not law.  You can apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State in which your marriage occurred for an official marriage certificate as evidence of a name change.

How do I register a change of name?

Please note: A child's consent is required if the child is aged 12 years and over.  A signed consent form must accompany the Statutory Declaration for Change of Name application.

After a change of name has been registered you will receive a Change of Name Certificate.  You can get a replacement certificate at any time by:

  • completing the Application Form Change of Name Certificate
  • provide proof of identity; and
  • paying the fee.

Please note: access provisions apply to all searches.  Please refer to the Access Policy for a list of those provisions.