Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Sexual reassignment

Registration of a change of sex

Any person who was born in Tasmania, who has undergone sexual reassignment surgery and is not married, may apply to register a change of sex.

If the person is a child, the parents or legal guardian may apply to register a change of sex.

To apply you must lodge the following documentation with the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages:

  • a completed 'Statutory Declaration Application for Registration of Change of Sex', signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations.  Please contact the Registry to obtain a form.
  • a statutory declaration from each of 2 doctors, or 2 medical practitioners verifying the person has undergone sexual reassignment surgery.
  • proof of identification.
  • evidence of divorce (if the person has been married)

If the original birth certificate is supplied with the application, a replacement will be produced containing the new details and a notation that the person was previously registered as of the other sex.
If requested by the person, the Registrar may issue a Birth Extract, which does not include the notations.

For additional information about this process, please contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Please Note: Change of Name is a separate process.