Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

Late registrations

If you think that your birth or the birth of your child is not registered, you will need to apply for a birth certificate. This will confirm whether a record of birth exists.

If you receive a Certificate of No Record, you will need to forward the following documentation to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages:

  • A letter from the hospital (if the birth occurred before December 2000).
  • A completed Birth Registration Statement that must be signed by both parents.
  • Documentation verifying the full given names (as close to the time of birth as possible).
  • The original Certificate of No Record.
  • Details of your postal address and a daytime contact phone number.

The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages may require additional information in some cases.

For more details regarding the late registration process, please contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages on 1300 135 513.