Electronic Birth Certificate (e-messaging)
Need a Birth Certificate to apply for your Learner's Licence?
If you are going to sit a Driver's Knowledge Test at a Service Tasmania Shop, there is a service available to allow validation of birth information electronically for those born in Tasmania.
When you go to a Service Tasmania Shop you will need to:
- Fill in the Birth Certificate Application Form (pdf, 260.0 KB)
- Fill in a Driver Knowledge Test application form
- Show appropriate identification
- Pay the prescribed fee
Births, Deaths and Marriages will provide an electronic confirmation of your Birth Certificate details to Service Tasmania, prior to you sitting the test.
To be eligible to use this service, you need to meet the following criteria:
- be at least 15 years and 11 months old (this is the minimum age at which you can sit the Driver Knowledge Testing System theory exam)
- meet the standard Births, Deaths and Marriages, and Department of State Growth evidence of identity requirements for obtaining a birth certificate and learner licence.
- pay for the Birth Certificate application at the time of applying to sit the test
- application needs to be made at a Service Tasmania Shop between the hours of 8.15am-4.15pm daily
A copy of your Birth Certificate will also be mailed to you within 10 working days.