There are specified exemptions from the Working with Children Registration.
Some individuals covered by these exemptions may not need to apply for a Working with Children Registration. For example you would be exempt if:
- you are a child under the age of 16
- you only have incidental contact with children
- you are a close relative of the child
- you are a police officer or a correctional officer
- you are an emergency management worker dealing with an emergency
For more information and the full list of those exempt please read the Exemptions from Registration fact sheet (PDF, 3 Pages, 128KB)
- If you are a Police Officer (for example), volunteering on the committee of your local sporting team, you are only exempt in your professional role. You must still apply for Working with Children Registration for the sporting team role.
- Exemption timeframes are based on days not hours. Per day includes one event in a day – i.e., one hour of parent help at a school or one hour working as a soccer coach for a club/association
- If you are a Teacher from interstate then you must have a Tasmanian Working with Children Registration before you can be registered under the Teachers Registration Act 2000 to teach in Tasmania.