Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Proving Identity

Proving identity

All applicants must provide proof of identity when completing an application.  Documents must be current and either original or certified copies.

You can provide proof of identity by presenting an Australian Photo Driver Licence showing your correct name and address details when completing an application.

If you cannot provide the above, you must provide at least three (3) documents, either:

  • One (1) document from Category A, plus two (2) documents from Category B; or
  • Two (2) documents from Category A, plus one (1) from Category B.

If the name and/or address are not correct, you must provide Evidence of Residential Address and/or Evidence of Change of Name documents.  If your name is different to what is shown on a Category A document, you must also provide at least one (1) original Evidence of Change of Name document.

All proof of identity documents must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation from an accredited translator.

At least one (1) document from either Category A or B must show your date of birth and current Tasmanian residential address.  If the current address is not shown, you are required to provide a fourth document which is less than six (6) months old, from the category Evidence of Residential Address.

Category A (provide at least one)

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an Extract or commemorative certificate) issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian Citizenship papers
  • Australian Passport
  • Overseas Passport/Visa
  • Australian Photo Driver Licence
  • Australian Firearm Licence
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card (displaying full name)
  • Department of Immigration & Citizenship issued travel documents, including a visa Department of Immigration & Citizenship Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status

Category B documents (provide at least two)

  • Medicare card
  • Plastic bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student Identity Card with photo issued by an Australian Educational Institution
  • Department of Veterans Affairs/Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Births, Deaths & Marriages Change of Name / Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll

Evidence of Change of Name

  • Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages (or interstate/overseas Registry office equivalent)
  • Divorce Paper indicating the name being reverted to, as issued by a Court
  • Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages or Deed Poll
  • Guardianship Order issued by the relevant Authority
  • Adoption Paper issued by a Court

Evidence of Residential Address

  • Financial institution statement
  • Utility account (power, water, sewerage, phone, gas) with evidence of payment
  • Council rate notice
  • Lease or rent agreement
  • Land Tax Valuation notice
  • Australian Tax Office Assessment (current or last financial year)
  • Certificate of Title