Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Plumbing Licences

Plumbing licences come in 3 categories:

  • practitioner
  • contractor and
  • provisional

Practitioner licence

You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake plumbing work.  This includes if you are an employee of a business engaging in plumbing work.

Contractor licence

You need a contractor licence if you enter into a contract to carry out any plumbing work; or employ another person to carry out any plumbing work; or have the management or control of any other person carrying out any plumbing work.

Renewing an expired licence

A practitioner, whose plumbing licence has been expired for 3 or more years, will have to undertake a challenge test and identified refresher training. Contact a registered training organisation (this is TasTAFE in Tasmania) to arrange. You will need to provide evidence to Consumer, Building and Occupational Services that you have successfully completed the required testing and training as part of renewing your expired licence.

Lost your Licence?

  1. Complete the replacement licence form for Contractor replacement  (pdf, 457.6 KB) or Practitioner replacement (pdf, 132.5 KB) or a Statutory Declaration.
  2. Take it to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75
  3. You will receive your card in 10-14 business days.

Add a new class or occupation to your licence

  1. Complete your training and obtain your Statement of Results from a Registered Training Organisation.
  2. Fill out an Application for Addition of New Class (pdf, 172.4 KB) and select the new classes or occupation.
  3. Take your completed form and Statement of Results to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75.
  4. You will receive your updated licence in 10-14 business days.

Do I need a Nominated Manager?

A Nominated Manager is the person in a Plumbing Contractor's business who is responsible for certifying that the work complies with relevant plumbing standards.

Gratuitous Work

A person wishing to carry out work for friends, relatives or community groups for no payment must follow the below steps:

  1. Licence holder must be at Tasmanian Certifier level (Plumbing Practitioners are not able to carry out gratuitous work)
  2. Ensure the work is covered by insurance ($5 million cover Public Liability and Products Liability)
  3. Complete Gratuitous Work form (pdf, 454.8 KB) and lodge with Consumer, Building and Occupational Services for assessment
  4. A letter will be sent within 7 business days
  5. Contact Building Surveyors, Councils, Tas Water and/or any relevant Authorities to arrange approval before commencing work
  6. Undertake the work
  7. Lodge the paperwork with Regulators/Authorities
  8. Keep records of the work for ten years (including insurance).

No contracting licence is required as it is not considered to be contracting

Licence search

You are able to search for licensed practitioners and contractors.