Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Overseas trained applicants - Electrical provisional licence

Before you start your application


If you want to work as an electrician in Tasmania, you must hold the relevant licence. Your registration will be restricted to working under direct supervision while you undertake further study here in Tasmania with TasTAFE or a registered training organisation.

You must get work as a provisional electrician under the supervision of a licensed electrical contractor.

After you have completed your training and experience, you can only then apply for an electrical practitioner licence. Before you can apply for an electrical practitioner licence you must:

  1. Complete 12 months employment working to wiring standard AS/NZS 3000—2007 Electrical installations (known as the Australian /New Zealand Wiring Rules)
  2. Undertake the Capstone Assessment from TasTAFE. Do this towards the end of the provisional licence period

Before applying for a contractor licence you must hold a practitioner licence for 12 months and complete the electrical contractor training course units with TasTAFE.

Take the next step to apply for an electrical provisional licence.