Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Overseas trained applicants


Licence applicants who were trained outside Australia are required to demonstrate they have the skills and knowledge necessary to be granted a licence or certificate.

When in Australia you need to:

  • get an off-shore Technical Skills Record by presenting your trade qualifications and work history to VETASSESS
  • get a Trade Recognition Service Assessment from Trades Recognition Australia
  • contact TasTafe or other registered training organisation to get a training plan to bring your qualifications up to Australian standards.

Different licence types need different information, so it is important to read the licence page that best matches your occupation before you start to apply for your licence in Tasmania.

Electrical provisional licence

Plumbing provisional licence

Gas-fitting provisional licence

Auto gas-fitting provisional licence

Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

Guide to licensing services online (pdf, 2.7 MB)