Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Interstate or New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)


Electrical, plumbing, gas-fitting and auto gas-fitting licence

If you live interstate or in New Zealand and hold an electrician, plumber, gas-fitter and building services provider licence you can have your licence type recognised for an equivalent licence in Tasmania.

Use the National Mutual Recognition Database to find the Tasmanian equivalent for your licence.

If this is a new application, privacy laws often prevent us from confirming the details you have given to us.  It is important that you scan and attach certified original certificates and other documents we need.  Experience gained outside Tasmania is often difficult to check.

Certified documents

A certified document is a copy of an original (often a photocopy) which has been endorsed by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP) as a true copy of the primary document. It does not certify that the primary document is genuine, only that it is a true copy of the primary document.

Building Service Provider - conditional licence

If your licence type does not match an existing Tasmanian licence type you may be granted a conditional Building Services Provider licence.  A conditional licence is granted when the licensee has interstate experience working under different legal and local government requirements.

Conditional licensing may not be recognised by other states and territories for mutual recognition purposes.

Before you start your application


You must hold an interstate or New Zealand electrician, plumber, gas-fitter, building services provider, security agent, conveyancing, motor trader licence interstate before you can apply for a Tasmanian licence through mutual recognition.

If you are an interstate applicant without a current licence in your home state, you are not eligible for mutual recognition and must apply as if a new applicant in Tasmania.

In Tasmania, practitioners working in electrical, gas-fitting or plumbing also need a contractor licence if they plan to work for themselves.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your interstate licence (both sides)
  4. Practitioners must also scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a passport sized photograph for a Tasmanian licence ID card.  The photo must be certified by a Justice of the Peace (JP) or Commissioner for Declarations.  This is not needed if you visit Service Tasmania shop to prove your identity and have your photo taken (application only)
  5. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of their insurance certificate (Contractor only)
  6. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of current interstate contracting licence card (partnership and body corporate only) (application only)
  7. Companies must list their Directors when applying (contractor only)
  8. Have your credit card ready to make payment online or visit a Service Tasmania shop if you are in Tasmania

We will confirm your details with your existing Regulator and issue a licence within 24 days.

Apply for your licence

Step 1. Save documents to a computer or a storage device like a USB (see checklist)

Step 2. Select Apply Now (below)

Step 3. Pay the licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop

Step 4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop and prove your identity

Apply Now