Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Gas-fitting Licences

Gas-fitting licences come in 3 categories:

  • practitioner
  • contractor and
  • provisional

Practitioner licence

You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake gas-fitting work, including if you are an employee of a business engaging in gas-fitting work.

Contractor licence

You need a contractor licence if you enter into a contract to:

Renewing an expired licence

Practitioners whose gas-fitting licence has been expired for 3 or more years will have to undertake a challenge test and identified refresher training.  Contact a registered training organisation (this is TasTAFE in Tasmania) to arrange.  You will need to provide evidence to Consumer, Building and Occupational Services that you have successfully completed the required training as part of renewing your expired licence.

Lost your licence?

  1. Complete the replacement licence form for Contractor replacement (pdf, 457.6 KB) or Practitioner replacement (pdf, 132.5 KB) or a Statutory Declaration
  2. Take it to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75
  3. You will receive your card in 10-14 days

Add a new class or occupation to your licence

  1. Complete your training and get your Statement of Results from a Registered Training Organisation.
  2. Fill out a new licence application form and select the new classes or occupation.
  3. Take your completed form and Statement of Results to Service Tasmania and pay the $38.75 fee or $155.00 if adding electrical.
  4. You will receive your updated licence in 10-14 days.

Do I need a nominated manager?

A nominated manager is the person in a gas-fitting contractor's business who is responsible for certifying that the work complies with relevant Gas-fitting Standards.

Gratuitous work

Persons wishing to carry out this work for friends, relatives or community organisations for no payment must follow the below steps:

  1. Licence holder must be at Tasmanian Certifier level.
  2. Ensure the work is covered by insurance ($5 million cover Public Liability and Products Liability).
  3. Complete Gratuitous work form (pdf, 454.8 KB) and lodge with Consumer, Building and Occupational Services for assessment.
  4. A letter will be sent within 7 business days.
  5. Undertake the work.
  6. Lodge the paperwork with Gas Standards and Safety Unit at Consumer, Building and Occupational Services.
  7. Keep records of the work for 10 years (including insurance).

A contracting licence is not required as it is not considered to be contracting.

Licence search

You are able to search for licensed practitioners and contractors.