Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Electrical licences

Electrical licences come in 4 categories:

  • practitioner
  • contractor
  • restricted or
  • provisional

Practitioner licence

You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake electrical work. This includes if you are an employee of a business engaging in electrical work.

Applying for an electrical practitioner licence

To renew your licence:

Contractor licence

You need a contractor licence if you:

  • enter into a contract to carry out any electrical work; or
  • employ, manage or control another person to carry out any electrical work.

Download Fact Sheet - Information for Electrical Contractors and Nominated Managers (pdf, 188.5 KB) for information on your responsibilities and obligations as an electrical contractor.

Applying for a contractor licence

  • Complete an Contractor licence application form (pdf, 586.2 KB)
  • Lodge at any Service Tasmania shop with:
    • Insurance Certificate of Currency (must be in the trading name - sole trader, business or company);
    • Copy of business name registration (if using a name other than your own personal name);
    • Proposed nominated manager (Electrical only) - if this person has not been a nominated manager in Australia or New Zealand within the last 3 years, a Statement of Attainment / Results will need to be attached for the relevant training (Management of an Electrical Contractors Business)
    • Interstate and New Zealand applicants must also attached a copy of their current Interstate Contracting licence (front and back).
    • the fee:
      • $511.50 for a 1 year licence
      • $155.00 secondary occupation fee for 1 year licence

To renew your contractor licence:

Restricted electrical licence

A restricted electrical licence allows some electrical work to be undertaken e.g. refrigeration and air conditioning, motors, and composite equipment. A contracting licence is not required for restricted electrical.

If you believe that the work you do fits one of these categories then you must apply for a restricted electrical licence.

Persons from other countries must apply for a provisional licence.

Provisional licence

Persons from other countries can apply for a provisional licence which is issued for a period of 12 months.  You must undertake supervised work to get experience working to Australian Standards and complete the required gap training identified in a training assessment performed by Vetassess. Apply for a provisional licence.

Renewing an expired licence

A practitioner whose electrical licence has been expired for 3 or more years will have to undertake the Capstone test.  Contact a registered training organisation (this is TasTAFE in Tasmania) and arrange to sit the test.  You will need to provide evidence to Consumer, Building and Occupational Services that you have successfully completed the test as part of renewing your expired licence.

Lost your licence?

  1. Complete the replacement licence form for
  2. Take it to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75
  3. You will receive your card in 10-14 days

Add a new class or occupation to your licence

  1. Complete your training and obtain your Statement of Results from a Registered Training Organisation
  2. Fill out an Application for Addition of New Class  (pdf, 171.6 KB) and select the new class(es) or occupation.
  3. Lodge at Service Tasmania with:
    • a copy of your Statement of Results
    • pay the $38.75 fee.  The fee is $155.00 if adding Gas-fitting to your licence.
  4. You will receive your updated licence in 10-14 business days.

Nominated manager

A Nominated manager is the person in an electrical contractor's business that:

  • scopes the work
  • assesses the technical requirements
  • determines the skills and resources necessary; and
  • upon completion signs the Certificate of Electrical Compliance (CEC) on behalf of the contractor.

Gratuitous work

A practitioner is able to undertake work for no payment without the need for the involvement of a contractor or without having a contractor's licence (for example doing some work for their local soccer club).  A practitioner doing this type of work needs to:

  1. Indicate on the Electrical Installation Notice (EIN) or the Certificate of Electrical Compliance (CEC) that it is Gratuitous Work prior to lodging the EIN/CEC;
  2. Have at least $5 million cover Public Liability and Products Liability insurance; and
  3. Keep records of the work for 10 years

Testing and tagging

Testing and tagging electrical appliances is not a licensed occupation in Tasmania.  Licensed electricians are automatically qualified to test and tag and may use their electrician's licence number for the tag records.   Testing and tagging can be completed by a person who has undertaken test and tag training with TasTAFE . Interstate persons who have completed the required  training are also allowed to test and tag in Tasmania.

Under work place safety legislation an employer is required to keep an Electrical tag and test register (doc, 77.0 KB).

Licence database search