Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Builder's Licence

Licensing for builders is divided into four categories:

  1. Builder;
  2. Construction Manager;
  3. Fire Protection Services Builder; and
  4. Demolisher

There are three classes within each category:

  1. Low rise
  2. Medium rise
  3. Open

Applying for a builder's licence

IMPORTANT:  You must provide all the required documentation together with your application form

  • Complete a Building Services Provider Application form (pdf, 716.5 KB) , selecting the classes you are qualified to work in.
  • Attach a copy of your qualifications (the following is the minimum qualification required):
    • Low rise - Cert IV Building and Construction (Building)
    • Medium rise - Diploma Building and Construction (Building)
    • Open - Advanced Diploma of Building and Construction Management or a Building Degree
  • Complete the Statement of Experience included in the application form (the following is the minimum experience required):
    • Low rise - 2 years with a building trade qualification; 4 years without a building trade qualification
    • Medium rise - 2 years with a building trade qualification; 4 years without a building trade qualification
    • Open - 3 years with a building trade qualification; 6 years without a building trade qualification
  • Your curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Attach two detailed references from licensed practitioners or industry professionals (these may be past or present employers) using the Referee Statements included in the application form
  • Insurance- attach a certificate of currency:
    • Builder, Fire Protection Services and Demolisher - $5 million Public Liability insurance
    • Construction Manager requires Professional Indemnity
      • $500,000 Low Rise
      • $750,000 Medium Rise
      • $1 million Open Class
    • Contract Works insurance is required for a builder when working on a project and may be taken out on an annual or a project-by-project basis.
  • Applicants may be required to attend an interview
  • Lodge all documentation at any Service Tasmania shop
  • Pay the fee - $372.00
  • Interstate applicants may email or mail the completed application together with attachments and a certified passport size photo.  Payment may be made by credit card, cheque, or money order (made out to Department of Justice).

PDF documents need a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Contact Us if you have problems viewing or printing the document or if you need the document in a different format.


$372.00 - Annual licence/renewal fee

$999.75 - Triennial licence/renewal fee

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) - renewal applicants only

When you renew your licence, you will need to confirm on your application that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD). For builder licensing the value is 12 points per year. For those renewing triennially, points can be averaged over that three year licensing period.

Further information

Lost your Licence Card?

  1. Complete the Replacement Licence Card application form (pdf, 133.3 KB)
  2. Take it to any Service Tasmania shop
  3. Pay $38.75
  4. You will receive your card in 10-14 business days.