Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Automotive Gas-fitting Licences

There are 2 types of Automotive Gas-fitting (Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine Gas-fitting Work) licences:

  • practitioner; and
  • contractor.

Practitioner licence

You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake automotive gas-fitting work.  This includes if you are an employee of a business engaging in automotive gas-fitting work.

Contractor licence

You need a contractor licence if you:

Renewing an expired licence

A practitioner, whose automotive gas-fitting licence has been expired for 3 or more years, is required have to undertake refresher training. To arrange training, contact a registered training provider (this is TasTAFE in Tasmania). You will need to provide evidence with your application that you have successfully completed the required training as part of renewing your expired licence.

Lost your licence?

  1. Complete the replacement licence form for Contractor replacement (pdf, 457.6 KB) or Practitioner replacement (pdf, 132.5 KB) or a Statutory Declaration
  2. Take it to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75
  3. You will receive your card in 10-14 business days

Add a new class or occupation to your licence

  1. Complete your training and obtain your Statement of Results from a Registered Training Organisation.
  2. Fill out a new licence application form and select the new class(es) or occupation.
  3. Take your completed form and Statement of Results to Service Tasmania and pay $38.75.
  4. You will receive your updated licence in 10-14 business days.

Do I need a Nominated Manager?

A Nominated Manager is the person in a automotive gas-fitting contractor's business who is responsible for certifying that the work complies with relevant standards.

Licence search

You are able to search for licensed practitioners and contractors.