Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Licensing and Accreditation

Licensed occupations

The following occupations require a licence in Tasmania:


A Building Practitioner requires accreditation for the following classes:

Builder classes:

  • Builder (low rise, medium rise or open)
  • Builder (construction manager)
  • Builder (fire protection services)
  • Demolisher

Design classes:

Building surveyor classes:

  • Unrestricted
  • Limited

Accreditation requires a building practitioner to be:


You are required to Apply for a licence within 30 days of completing your apprenticeship as an electrician, plumber, gas-fitter or automotive gas-fitter.

Mutual recognition of a licence

Applicants can apply for mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand licence:

Persons from other countries

Electricians, gas-fitters, automotive gas-fitters and plumbers who have trained in other countries (not including Australia or New Zealand) can Apply for a licence to operate in Tasmania.

Change of address details

If you are a licence holder and have recently relocated, please use this online form to update your details.