Review of the Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania
Earlier this year, the Attorney-General requested that the Department of Justice undertake a review of the Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania (LACT).
Terms of Reference were then developed in consultation with a number of key stakeholders including the Chair and Director of the LACT and the Law Society of Tasmania.
Former Tasmanian Judge, the Honourable Peter Evans has been appointed to undertake the review which is expected to take approximately 3 months to complete.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the review are as follows:
- Review and provide advice on the membership of the Legal Aid Commission as established under Section 5 of the Legal Aid Commission Act 1990, and governance of the Legal Aid Commission.
- Review and provide advice on the discharge of the functions and powers of the Legal Aid Commission pursuant to Sections 6 and 7 of the Legal Aid Commission Act 1990, in particular the determination of applications for legal aid and the review of decisions in respect to legal aid.
- Provide advice as to the provision of legal aid and the use of legal practitioners employed by the Legal Aid Commission and private legal practitioners to deliver legal services, in particular:
- the operation of section 15 of the Legal Aid Act 1990;
- the policies and guidelines around choice of lawyers; and
- whether there are alternative models, such as the establishment of panels of private lawyers, to guide client choice.
- Review and provide advice in respect of the management of grants of legal assistance and the administration of the Guidelines for granting legal aid.
- Review the interaction between the LACT and Community Legal Centres.
- Facilitate community and stakeholder consultation on the terms of reference.
- Do all other things necessary or convenient to be done in connection with the performance of these terms of reference.
Anyone with an interest in the operation of the LACT is invited to provide input to the review.
Submissions can be made in writing or verbally, by booking an appointment to meet with Mr Evans.
Written responses should be sent:
By post to:
Legal Aid Review
GPO Box 825
HOBART TAS 7001
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
During the consultation period Mr Evans will be available to meet with interested persons in Burnie, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart.
To make an appointment to provide verbal feedback (either in person or by phone), please phone 03 6165 4943 or email email@example.com
Submissions close 5pm Friday 12 December 2014.