The Government is currently seeking feedback on the exposure draft Land Use Planning and Approvals (Tasmanian Planning Scheme) Amendment Bill 2015.
- The Land Use Planning and Approvals (Tasmanian Planning Scheme) Amendment Bill 2015 (the Bill) replaces the current provisions for local planning schemes with provisions for a new Tasmanian Planning Scheme.
- The draft Bill gives effect to a proposed structure for the Tasmanian Planning Scheme that consists of a set of statewide planning controls (State Planning Provisions) and Local Provisions Schedules that contain the Local Planning Provisions including the zone and overlay maps for each local area.
- The current provisions for planning directives and planning schemes (including interim directives and interim schemes) will be replaced with new provisions for a Tasmanian Planning Scheme.
- The State Planning Provisions and the relevant Local Provisions Schedule will together form all of the planning controls that apply to a local area (the local application of the Tasmanian Planning Scheme). These will be administered by local planning authorities.
- Specifically, the Bill -
- provides for the making of the Tasmanian Planning Scheme, including separate processes for the making of the State Planning Provisions and the Local Provisions Schedules
- provides for amendments to the Tasmanian Planning Scheme, including separate processes for amending the State Planning Provisions and the Local Provisions Schedules
- includes a range of amendments to ensure the provisions of the current Act are consistent with the new structure for a Tasmanian Planning Scheme
- provides transitional arrangements to allow the current planning schemes to operate until the Tasmanian Planning Scheme is in place in a municipal area and for other matters, including any permits being dealt with under the current planning schemes when the Tasmanian Planning Scheme comes into force in that municipal area
- The Bill also introduces a 21-day statutory timeframe for assessing permitted use and development applications when the Scheme takes effect.
- Land Use Planning and Approvals (Tasmanian Planning Scheme) Amendment Bill 2015 (pdf, 2.3 MB)
- Reforming Tasmania's Planning System - Legislation for the Tasmanian Planning Scheme (Position Paper) (pdf, 480.4 KB) | DOCX
- Fact sheet 1: Overview (pdf, 115.8 KB) | DOCX
- Fact sheet 2: The Tasmanian Planning Scheme (pdf, 119.8 KB) | DOCX
- Fact sheet 3: Legislation for a Tasmanian Planning Scheme (pdf, 124.0 KB) | DOCX
- Fact sheet 4: Frequently Asked Questions (pdf, 119.2 KB) | DOCX
Comments on the Bill should be provided to the Department of Justice by Monday 10 August 2015.
Department of Justice
Office of Strategic Legislation and Policy
GPO Box 825
Hobart TAS 7001