Building Administration Fee
In addition to local government building and plumbing fees and charges, councils also collect a Building Administration Fee and a Building and Construction Industry Training Levy on behalf of government bodies.
- The Building Administration Fee (BAF) is administered by Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS)
- The Industry Training Levy is administered by the Tasmanian Building and Construction Industry Training Board (TBCITB)
The Building Administration Fee (previously known as the Building Permit Levy) was introduced on 1 January 2017 with the commencement of the Building Act 2016. Further information relating to the BAF can be found in Part 21, Division 1 of the Building Act 2016.
- The BAF is payable on work costing $20,000 or more
- It applies to building and demolition work and any associated plumbing work
- The rate of the fee is then calculated as 0.1% of the total cost of that work
- This fee is paid into a State Government Building Administration Fund for development of a better regulatory environment for Tasmania’s building industry.
Knowing the difference
To understand the difference between the Building Administration Fee and the Industry Training Levy, see:
Your BAF obligations
To understand your obligations regarding the Building Administration Fee see:
BAF Fee Return Certificate Calculator
To assist Permit Authorities to calculate the amount to be returned, see:
PDF documents need a PDF reader. Please read more on free PDF readers. Contact Us if you have problems viewing or printing the document or if you need the document in a different format.