Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Resolving Building Disputes

If you have engaged a builder to build or renovate your home, your Builder must give you a guide telling you about the Housing Indemnity Act 1992.  This guide has important information on your rights.

Discuss your concerns

  1. It is always the best option to talk to the practitioner about the issues or concerns you have. In most situation this resolves the dispute and you will achieve to outcome you want.
  2. If your concerns are about the standard of work on your building you should talk to the Building Surveyor overseeing your building work.
  3. Local Government (Councils) also have a role as the permit authority for plumbing and building work. You may also wish to speak to them about the standard of the work.
  4. If your concerns are not resolved and the concerns are with a builder then you should check to see if they are a member of the Housing Industry Association (HIA) or Master Builders Association (MBA).  Both associations can help you to understand the role of your builder and help you seek a suitable outcome.


Building Standards and Occupational Licensing may assist you with information and in some cases help you resolve the issue with your Building Practioner. If you wish to use this service contact our Dispute Resolution and Compliance unit.

Our process cannot be used to resolve contractual disputes. You should talk to a legal practitioner if you need help with your contract.

Disputes about conduct

A person who uses an accredited Building Practitioner for building work, or associated building work within Tasmania, has the right to expect a practitioner to conduct themselves in a professional manner. The Code of Conduct, contained within The Scheme for Accreditation of Building Practitioners July 2008 (pdf, 483.2 KB) , sets out the standard of conduct.

It is important that you contact us and discuss your complaint with Building Standards and Occupational Licensing Dispute Resolution and Compliance staff before you lodge a complaint about a building practitioner.

Disputes about payment

In Tasmania a person who does building or construction work, or supplies goods or services for building or construction work, has a legal right to recover progress payments for work done and goods and services supplied.

This is known as Security of Payment.

Contact Us