Tasmanian Government Logo

Department of Justice

Building and plumbing work

National Construction Code (NCC)

The 2016 National Construction Code (NCC) and future editions are freely available online, significantly contributing to reducing the burden of building regulation.

In Tasmania the Building Act 2016 requires all building and plumbing work to be undertaken to a standard set by the National Construction Code.

The National Construction Code creates the:

  • Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume One and Two; and
  • Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) as Volume Three

In addition, electrical and gas-fitting work must be performed in accordance with minimum standards. This regulation is in place to ensure the integrity of our built environment and the amenity of that environment.

Performing work in Tasmania

Before carrying out any building or plumbing work in Tasmania you need to check what planning permission – if any – and building approval is required.

You should check with your local council regarding planning requirements.

The type of building approval will depend on the sort of work you’re having done.

The Director of Building Control has issued an extensive list of categories of work and the level of approval required:

All work – with a very few minor exceptions – must be carried out by a licensed practitioner.

Building Practitioners

In Tasmania the key people involved in each step of the process of building or renovating must be licensed:

  • Builders, including construction managers, demolishers and builders specialising in fire protection;
  • Architects and other Building Designers including designers specialising in building services;
  • Building Surveyors; and
  • Engineers.

Standards that apply

Homeowners and building owners generally do not have to know what is in the codes, but they must ensure that if they are building or renovating a home or building in Tasmania that they use a licensed building practitioner and licensed tradespeople to do each part of the process.

Resolving issues with a building practitioner

The Residential Building Work Contracts and Dispute Resolution Act 2016 has mechanisms for resolving issues with a building practitioner.

The first step is to ensure you have a good contract in place.

But if issues arise, firstly, talk to the person doing the work and explain your concerns. If that doesn't resolve the issue there is a dispute and complaint process that may help.

In Tasmania, Building Practitioners have a legal right to security of payment. Timelines apply to payment and you must follow them.

Trade licensing

Electricians, Plumbers and Gas-fitters are licensed under the Occupational Licensing Act 2005. Information on this licensing can be found under Licensing.

Additional technical information