It is a legal requirement for births in Tasmania to be registered.
If you wish to apply for a certificate, there are 3 types available.
Standard Birth Certificate
- Contains all details about a birth, including information about the parents. This document is required for most proof of identification purposes eg. passport applications and school enrolment.
Decorative Birth Certificate
- Designed for display purposes rather than identification purposes. These certificates are printed on A3 size (297 x 420mm), superior quality paper, which makes them ideal for framing. The certificates are packaged in a protective cylinder.
- There are 3 designs available:
- Tasmanian native floras in shades of green, gold and brown
- Perfect for hanging in the nursery.
- A classic design that captures the bond between parent and child.
View Decorative Certificates
Extract of Birth
- Contains name, sex, date and place of birth. It does not contain information about parents. It is not suitable for most proof of identification purposes.